Kim + David tied the knot on June 20, 2014 at The Cookery in downtown Durham, North Carolina. Kim and David graciously participated in a Q&A about their wedding day, which is featured below!
1. Why was it important for you to hire a professional photographer with a documentary approach? What other factors went into your decision to hire me?
We really wanted photographs that could capture the mood, energy, and feelings of the day. Those are things you just can't get through posed pictures. We had seen some of Courtney's work and knew that her documentary approach resulted in photos that not only captured the events of the day, but also the special little moments created by fleeting emotions.
2. Did you foresee any part of your wedding day being difficult logistically or emotionally? Did I make it easier? If so, how?
We thought our pre-ceremony timeline would be difficult to navigate. We got ready in separate buildings, drove to one location for pictures, went to another location for "pre-wedding drinks," and then went to the final location for the ceremony/reception. A few days in advance, we asked Courtney for her opinion and she was so helpful in estimating time for pictures at each location. On the day of the wedding, she was great at guiding us along our timeline so we didn't have to stress about it.
3. I loved how you utilized a lot of great local Durham vendors for your wedding. Was this a conscious decision on your part? What were some of the vendors you were most excited about?
Once we chose The Cookery as our location, the rest just kind of fell into place. Durham has so much to offer, we didn't have to look elsewhere. I'd say we were most excited about The Parlour ice cream truck!
4. You booked an engagement session with your wedding package. What was it like to work with me in this more relaxed setting?
I'm really glad we got to work with Courtney before the wedding! The engagement photos were gorgeous and the photo shoot was just so fun. Having a laid-back photo shoot before the wedding gave us a chance to get to know Courtney which definitely helped us feel more comfortable the day of the wedding.
5. What is the first thing you want to do with the images?
We want to print some photos to send to grandparents that couldn't make it to the wedding. There is also a spot in our house that is waiting for a picture!
6. What is next for you as a couple? Any big plans?
Kim just graduated nursing school and got her first job! So our big plans are to enjoy married life and embrace all these new steps in life!
Kim and David, thank you so much for being such an easy-going couple to work with! I really enjoyed every step of the wedding process with you- from our first dinner at The Tobacco Campus, to all of our various photo sessions up until the wedding day! I hope you cherish these photos for years to come. :)
To view all of Kim + David's wedding photos and order prints, please visit their gallery on my print service.