Lara + Scott tied the knot on November 15, 2014 at The Gardens at Gray Gables in Summerfield, NC. Some couples shy away from having a winter wedding, but Lara and Scott's outdoor ceremony couldn't have been any more beautiful with the rich golden afternoon light. Warm blankets and hot apple cider only added to the cozy ambience. Read more about Lara and Scott's intimate winter wedding and photography experience in the Q&A below! To view all the photos and order prints, please visit my print service.
1. Tell me a little about your story. How did you meet and fall in love?
For the past decade, Scott was a professional mariner living aboard a small cruise ship, but during the fall of 2012, he was volunteering on a Senatorial campaign on the east coast and Lara had just come home from six months living in Vietnam. Both were out with respective friends one cool October night, when Lara’s friend Andie asked Scott about his hat - which read the Sea Lion. After discovering he was a sailor she introduced Lara, and the rest as they say is history. Eighteen months later, after many flights between Hawaii and Alaska and DC and a couple of stops in Arkansas, Scott left life on the open sea and headed east.
2. What was your favorite moment from the day?
L: I can’t pick one - but I definitely liked when Scott would wink at me during the ceremony and when we were introduced as Lara and Scott Brock!
S: Also, the sea of smiling faces of loved ones and friends in one room.
3. What factors led to your decision in having an outdoor ceremony in November? What advice do you have for other couples planning a similar wedding?
L: I always wanted to get married outside, and NC can be beautiful in November. Sometimes it can even be warm - like the 70 degree day we had the Wednesday before we got married. And having both the wedding and the ceremony in the same place seemed ideal.
S: My advice is to encourage your guests to dress warmly and make sure you have heaters lined up! We had blankets out at the ceremony and hot cider to keep people warm.
4. What factors other than photos went into your decision on a wedding photographer? Why did you decide to pick me?
We wanted a photographer to catch the essence of our friends and loved ones at our wedding. To catch the smiles on peoples faces and the love in our hearts. After looking at a few photographers’ websites, Lara spoke with Courtney and felt like she was someone we would want to share my day with. You seemed more interested in telling a story than taking posed photos.
5. From booking to delivery of images and seeing the results, what in your mind made it the right choice for us to collaborate? Did anything surprise you?
So far - you have done just that - captured us and our our loved ones!
6. What’s next for you as a couple?
1) Enjoying being newlyweds, 2) Building a nest that is big enough for all our wedding presents, a garden, and other things that grow... and 3) Starting a family!
Lara and Scott, I couldn't have asked for a better wedding experience to commemorate my last wedding of 2014. Thank you for inviting me to document your day! I enjoyed spending time with your families (and all of the adorable kiddos on the dance floor!) I hope you enjoy these photos for years to come!